Compassionate Veterinary Senior Pet Care
Senior Pet Care
Did you know that the majority of degenerative health problems associated with aging in animals may be remedied or eased with early detection? When found early, many problems can be treated before they cause too much pain or damage. Our laboratory is set up to help us identify and diagnose your pet’s problem.
As pets age, they have the potential of facing life-threatening diseases that may include kidney, heart, and liver disease; osteoarthritis; weight and mobility changes; tumors and cancers; and hormonal conditions like diabetes and thyroid imbalances.
All Pets Veterinary Hospital doctors and staff will be glad to discuss with you the optional Senior Wellness tests we offer:
- ECG (Electrocardiogram)
- Blood Pressure
- Eye Pressure
- Abdominal Radiographs
- Thoracic (chest) Radiographs
All Pets Veterinary Hospital doctors believe it is more important to screen pets for serious health problems rather than wait for obvious signs of illness. Regular pet check-ups throughout a pet’s lifespan allow us to establish a library of baseline values so we can track any health changes as your pet ages.
Please let us know if your pet is exhibiting any of the following signs of potential senior problems:
- Increased or decreased water intake
- Ongoing weight loss despite good appetite
- Mouth odor
- Inflamed and irritated gums
- Difficulty rising, walking, running or jumping
- Behavioral changes including circling, disorientation, apathy, compulsive disorders, persistent vocalization, shaking, decreased ability to recognize commands
- Chronic vomiting or diarrhea
- Decreased exercise tolerance
- Coughing or labored breathing
- Dull and lusterless hair/coat
- Skin changes
- Vision loss
- Urine or fecal incontinence
- Changes in food intake
If your pet is experiencing one or more of these symptoms please contact us. There may be something we can do to help make your pet more comfortable and extend their life.
We believe that quality of life is just as important as quantity. We will work with you to plan the appropriate steps as determined by you and our doctors.